The University of Auckland Library

 


Copyright Notice: Items in the Architecture Archive image collection may not be reproduced, transmitted or copied without permission, except for the purposes of private study and research, criticism and review, or education, consistent with the New Zealand Copyright Act 1994.
Record 1 of 2
Record Id: 34090 Image No: GJ/GJ_008  
Image Link: View full size image (Average file size 500 KB, this may take some time to download).
Title: Old Jewish Synagogue, January 2006
Architect: Bartley, Edward, 1839-1919
Contributors: Holley, Rose (photographer)
Date: January 2006
Relation: Is part of the Architecture Photograph Series - RH
Place: Oceania | New Zealand | North Island | Auckland Region | Auckland City | Princes Street
Subjects: Architecture New Zealand | Historic Buildings
Building: Jewish Synagogue | University House | University of Auckland Campus Buildings
Item Description: Architecture photograph, digital image 4000 KB. 21st century. Interior view of the old synagogue on Princes Street (now University House) after refurbishment by the University of Auckland, showing plaster work and stained glass vault. Synagogue originally built 1885.
Project Description:

The synagogue was built in 1885. Designed by Edward Bartley who also designed other buildings of worship and the ASB in Auckland. The Jewish community moved to a new synagogue in 1969 and the building was left vacant. It was refurbished in 1989 and used by the National Bank -University Branch. In 2003 the building was leased by the University of Auckland and renamed 'University House'.

Location: Architecture Archive
Copyright Notice: Items in the Architecture Archive image collection may not be reproduced, transmitted or copied without permission, except for the purposes of private study and research, criticism and review, or education, consistent with the New Zealand Copyright Act 1994.
Record 2 of 2
Record Id: 34091 Image No: GJ/GJ_009  
Image Link: View full size image (Average file size 500 KB, this may take some time to download).
Title: Old Government House, April 2006
Architect: Mason, William, 1810-1897
Contributors: Holley, Rose (photographer)
Date: April 2006
Relation: Is part of the Architecture Photograph Series - RH
Place: Oceania | New Zealand | North Island | Auckland Region | Auckland City
Subjects: Architecture New Zealand | Historic Buildings
Building: Old Government House | University of Auckland Campus Buildings
Item Description: Architecture photograph, digital image 4000 KB. 21st century. Exterior view. The building is currently used as the University of Auckland Staff Common Room. Built in 1856.
Project Description:

Old Government House was built in 1856 and used as the seat of government until 1865 when Government moved to Wellington. The building was made of wood since it was always seen as a temporary building but designed to look like stone. Members of the Royal family have stayed in the house on several occasions and the Queen broadcast her christmas speech in 1953 from an upstairs room. The building is sited within the University of Auckland grounds and the house and gardens were formally transfered to the University in 1969. The building has been used as the staff common room ever since, and there have been several plans to re-furbish and restore the wooden structure which has suffered damage due to fire and is in a poor state of repair. However since the building is listed any repairs/refurshibment would be extremely costly and as yet no plans have been approved.

Location: Architecture Archive